Packing Tip: Electronics
* Follow the manufacturers' advice for packing and storing. There may be special instructions of which you need to be aware. Consult the owner's manual (if you can still find it!) or the manufacturer's website for detailed information.
* Pack audio/video/computer equipment in their original packaging and boxes whenever possible (if you're one of the few that still have them!).
* If the original boxes/packaging are not available, you'll need the following: sturdy cartons, bubblewrap and/or newsprint, tape and a marking pen to label each box. Note: You might want to label these boxes in a way that only YOU understand so as not to attract unwanted attention to the boxes which contain the most valuable contents.
* Be sure to completely seal each box with packing tape to keep out the dust. Electronics + Dust = Bad News!
* In general, moving companies do NOT insure electronics that are not packed in proper boxes with styrofoam corner supports. Check with your mover on exactly what IS and IS NOT insured on your move.
* Label all loose cables (or use colored-coded stickers). This simple step will make your life much easier when you're trying to re-connect everything at your new home.