According to the Census Bureau, about 43 million people in the U.S. move each year ... and summer is the busiest season. No two ways about it -- moving is stressful. However, with adequate planning - and lots of deep breathing - you can make it less stressful. Mary Scott Tuck, director of transportation statistics at the American Moving and Storage Association, offers some basic suggestions when planning a move:
* Start packing early
* Move on a weekday (when banks, utilities and government offices are open)
* Keep in mind that the beginning and end of the month are the busiest times for movers
* Be available on both loading and delivery day -- the movers will have questions
* Don't schedule your house closing to occur on the same day as your moving day
* Get some rest
* Remember, no matter how prepared you are, things occasionally go wrong ... relax.